Thursday, October 3, 2013

What A Change


I was completely unaware of what to expect on my twenty-five minute commute Monday morning, on September 23rd to Bensalem, Pa.  I was nervous, anxious, and running on about four hours of sleep.  Arriving at the Corporate Headquarters a solid fifteen minutes early, I was warmly greeted with Dunkin Donuts from my new boss and my HR contact.  Sweet as can be, they took me to the office coffee bar (which just so happens to be around all day everyday) and chatted with me for a long while to ensure my comfort at the office.  Shortly there after, and my favorite part of my first day, I was lead to my cubicle.  I could not express how excited I was to have my own (very large) cubicle to work in and eventually decorate.  Just this very instance made me feel not only grown up, but also like I was an important part of my company.  


Shortly after, I was handed a syllabus; It listed all of my responsibilities and duties as the new Brand Marketing Intern.  We went over each one briefly and immediately I felt completely overwhelmed wondering how I would remember everything on these three pages.  Time flew as it finally hit noon, lunchtime.  I was treated to lunch by boss and the other girl I would be working under.  My second boss ironically was a Drexel graduate; this made it super easy for the two of us to connect.  We spoke about various people, places, and things we both knew, hung out at, and did/do.  After lunch it was time for me to officially be introduced to the dozens of people I would come in contact with while working at my Co op.  I met the whole Brand Marketing team (my coworkers), the Design team, Merchandising team, Ecomm, Visual, HR, and plenty more.  Needless to say it was quite the overwhelming first day.  

The rest of my first week I was lucky enough to be able to shadow various people during different meetings and got to see the inter workings of a large corporation.  It is so interesting to see the ways in which all of the different teams connect and share their ideas.  Later in the week I was introduced to my favorite room in my massive work building, the mock store room.  In this room the visual team and marketing team collaborate in order to come up with the floor designs for each store for the upcoming season.  I was able to give my opinion and help out a little here and there; funny enough, the head visual merchandiser is actually from my home town!  At the beginning of this week, my boss and I made an actual visit to a local retail store.  Here I was able to set up the visions seen in the mock store in a real store, it was amazing to see their visions come to life.  The past week and a half have been great and now I am so excited to see what other opportunities await me during the next six months.  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, it is so great to hear that you are settling into your new job so well! It is also amazing that you were welcomed into the company in such a warm way. I find it refreshing to connect with co-workers on a personal level, it creates a nice comfort in the work environment, and it seems like you are already networking. I am very excited to hear about everything you experience back in PA, all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great that you were treated so nicely when you first arrived. At Michael Kors the designers basically wanted nothing to do with us and another intern was the one who showed us around. I really didn’t like that fact that an intern was put in charge of us and we were even at times asking her for our next tasks. I think that it was somewhat unprofessional of the designers to not take time to greet us on our first day and make us feel at home and comfortable. It seems like you are in a great company and hopefully you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete