Wednesday, October 9, 2013

TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE BIG APPLE


Bryant Park, located across the street from my company, is where everyone congregates on his or her lunch break. I too have fallen into this predictable pattern, going to the same cafĂ© everyday then making my way to Bryant Park. It is always the same and always lackluster. However, this week there has been a bit of commotion at Bryant Park and it seemed that they were setting up for some sort of concert. I joked with my friends saying that it was, “probably Bon Jovi or someone” – not ever thinking that I would be interested in the performer. 

I arrived today at work around 9:50am, later than I would have liked, and began my day. The workroom is often calm and has a natural flow of people dancing about. Today that flow was abruptly interrupted. Corey - a flamboyant and vivacious co-worker burst into the shoe department pronouncing Shakira as the artist preforming at Bryant Park. He was bouncing off the walls with excitement and swore he would leave early just to get a front row spot. I was shocked and excited to hear that Shakira would be preforming. I immediately turned to my friend and mouthed the words, “We’re going!”

To my surprise, I discovered that the concert was being held tonight! I also came to know that it was free! In New York I am learning that if something is free you should take it. I may be living the dream but it definitely comes at a high cost. 

1 comment:

  1. Dev, there are always exciting things to do and see in New York City and it is so awesome that you are getting the opportunity to see such a great performer for free! I also know that there are plenty of places close to Bryant Park to eat, maybe you should switch it up every few days so you don't get bored; it would be something to look forward too in the middle of everyday. It sounds like you are really starting to explore NYC and I hope you are loving it.

    ReplyDelete