Thursday, November 28, 2013

A New York Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day at Wollman Ice Rink
Yesterday was a very stressful day for me, I was unsure if my boyfriend was going to make it up to NY for this Thanksgiving week. There was a storm approaching the New York area, and I was really nervous it would delay or possibly even worse cancel flights. Thankfully, he was able to switch his flight earlier to avoid the storm, and I am finally at peace. Thanksgiving week is one of the busiest times to travel and I cannot imagine what a mess it would create in this city, if people were unable to come and go.  When you plan something so far in advance it would be very difficult to accept if friends, family, and significant others were unable to make it. Since I have gone away to college I have missed coming home every Thanksgiving, I blame this on my retail jobs! However, even though I will miss my family, I am excited to spend the holiday in New York City with my boyfriend. It seems like there will be many festivities going on, like the famous Macy’s Day Parade which I hope to go too; maybe even watch them blow up the balloons and floats the night before. As for my Thanksgiving meal, I was able to buy a prepared dinner from Whole Foods, I chose this option mainly because my oven is currently broken and I did not want to risk baking half of a turkey. I was thinking about going out to eat, but it would feel so out of the ordinary if I did that. I grew up with my Mother cooking an enormous amount of amazing food at home, and as a family we would spend the entire day eating and lounging. There was never a time when we went out to eat, except maybe a couple houses down to my neighbors. It is also funny to think that my parents are immigrants to this country, but my mother adopted the American tradition so effortlessly; her marshmallow sweet potatoes are too die for! I hope to one day acquire all of her great cooking skills! Anyway, I hope everyone who is traveling this week arrives to their destination safely and has a wonderful/yummy/restful holiday! Happy Thanksgiving! J


No comments:

Post a Comment