Wednesday, November 13, 2013

TRAGEDY AT BRYANT PARK

Bryant Park is the park right across the street from where I work. This is the destination for many tourists during the holidays – the whole place it transformed into a Christmas miracle land! The past month I have seen this spectacle coming together. Little building began to assemble, surrounding the once grass covered field, that now a large structure has emerging on. The little houses seemed to be only big enough for an elf – which I suppose is part of the charm of Bryant Park during the holidays. Finally, the park was constructed and ready for the holidays, the little houses were filled with vendors and shops. The center structure that expanded a great distance across the once grassy field was converted in to an immense ice rink. I was ecstatic to learn this because once, long long ago, I used to figure skate!

My roommate and I impatiently planned to have both our boyfriends come visit and to make a night out of Bryant Park, shopping, skating and drinking hot coco. Bryant Park seemed like a great and pleasant place to be. However, last weekend tragedy struck. A gunman shot two young boys while they were skating; they are both in the hospital in serious conditions. This was horrifying to me considering that I had planned on attending the holiday celebration in the near future. It is shocking how one event can change my perspective in such an impactful way. I am now in fear every day while I walk through Bryant Park from the subway to my office building. I understand that it is an unjustified fear, because the chances of a shooting happening again are slim. However, I still feel quite uneasy about the park. I am still planning on going skating with my boyfriend but I know that the magic of the holiday festival has been tarnished.


Holidays and Christmas in particular have always been somehow very mystifying and enchanting. I feel as though this event has brought be back to reality and proven that the real world isn’t so pleasant…

1 comment:

  1. I also work right next to Bryant park and was so alarmed by this. It is so sad that this time of year with all of the cheer and happiness surrounding the park that such an awful tragedy would occur. I do still hope you enjoy the season and the parks cheer. It is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete