Monday, November 18, 2013

Being Thrifty on a Budget

What I have grown to love about New York is how easy it is to get from point A to B. This is something I will definitely miss when going back to Philadelphia. Although things are still relatively close in Drexeland, nothing compares to New York. With everything I need at my fingertips, I have realized how quickly my money jumps out of my wallet. At each block there always seems to be something taunting me to spend my money. Despite my desires to spend spend spend, I have to resist. Budgeting is never easy, especially when you are surrounded by these temptations at every glance. But since I have a fulltime unpaid job, I have learned to be very careful with how I spend my money. With a small budget, I have grown to absolutely love the convenience of the subway. I purchased an unlimited metro card when I first moved here, and it truly was the smartest purchase I have made. I recommend this option to anyone looking to intern in New York. Not only will it save you a lot of money in the long run, but it will also make you feel slightly guilty for ever jumping in a cab.

Interior details from The Smile

Although I put myself on a tight budget, I still like to try and explore as much as I can. With crazy week at work this past week, I was eager to take advantage of the weekend and meet up with some friends. On Saturday, my friend Erin and I went to The Smile in SoHo. If you are ever out and about in SoHo and are looking for a great place to eat, this place is it. The environment has a rustic feel, with incredible food and drinks. I was told quite a few of celebrities frequent this hot spot, so I wasn’t surprised to see Stephen Moyer there.


In my book, what is even better than a great restaurant is a great thrift store. Thrifting and antiquing have always been one of my favorite activities (I may be the only person to call this an activity, but I am okay with it). Ever since I was a little girl, my family and I would visit flea markets, antique stores, you name it, in search for hidden gems in the midst of what most people would call ‘garbage.’ Snatching up a great vintage piece is like seeing a rainbow on a rainy day, except better. So of course the perfect weekend would not be complete without checking out some of my favorite vintage stores. Even though I didn’t purchase anything, the thrill of the search was enough. I guess obeying a budget isn’t so bad!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!! Although I am not in New York often, I try to take advantage of how much it has to offer. If you are looking to spend on a budget make sure to check out the street jewelry in soho! I always find amazing pieces for a less expensive price :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely seems like Ill have to check the Smile out soon! I love thrifting as well, New York has some really special flea markets- you should definitely check them out if you have not already. I have gotten a lot of awesome jewelry and housewares from NY flea markets.

    ReplyDelete