Thursday, November 14, 2013

Holiday Retail

Thanksgiving is approaching, can you believe it? The holiday season is now in full swing! I work on the 36th floor at Saks’ corporate office on Fifth Avenue, it overlooks Rockefeller Center, and one morning I caught a glimpse of the Christmas tree being brought on a truck freshly cut from Connecticut. I had no idea a tree that big even existed, and I was initially under the impression they used an artificial one.

Saks Fifth Avenue 2012 Holiday Show

In the retail world, holiday started a couple weeks before Halloween! Having the privilege to work on Fifth Avenue I have already seen some of the most spirited holiday preparations, such as the infamous holiday retail windows. Saks and Bergdorf’s in particular have it going on!  The windows are now closed off, however, the unveil is quickly approaching. I attended an informational session on holiday windows with the visual merchandising team at Saks; I was amazed at every detail that was involved. Their holiday windows are not circled around the merchandise being sold, but on their holiday tradition. I wish I could spill their TOP SECRET theme, but that would be naughty of me! Although, I would suggest marking your calendars for  November 25th ! Scatter my Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman is another one of those show stopping movies that has brought so much attention to the windows, and I think it is ingenious to educate the fashion followers on this topic. I cannot wait to see these customized productions live in person; now all we need is a little snow to sum it all up!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is amazing that you had the chance to be part of such a monumental task. As someone who struggles with visuals, I admire the teams at Saks and Bergdorf's and their talent. I can't wait to see the unveiling! Since I can't make it to New York I will count on you to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The holiday windows in NYC have always been my favorite part of the winter season. I still remember going in every year from my home town and walking down fifth avenue in my big puffy jacket sipping hot cocoa and admiring all the creative aspects of the windows. It is such a magical experience to see such small place be turned in to it's own little world!

    ReplyDelete