Sunday, May 5, 2013

9-5


Having a full time job means being a slave to the clock, ruled by time. The pressure of a job is intense but the reward is that much sweeter because of it. 
I often find myself dwelling on the days where my schedule was ruled by myself. Having a full time job is different to say the least, bittersweet to put it best. I do miss school, I miss the constant learning, freedom to experiment and to express at all times, whether it be through clothes or through words. I haven't quite fully left the stage of my life where I can say I am ready to move on from school, a process that I have known my whole life. It's a little scary to think that in just a short year I will close the book on schooling, even daunting.  With everything, however, it is critically important not to let the present fly by being consumed with thoughts of the future or past. It is coming whether we like it or not, and what we do have control over is laid out in front of us, the present. And right now, I have to say I love the people I work with. I am not even close to being able to absorb all of the invaluable information that these people store in their minds and it's necessary for me to be around such intellectual capacity, talent, and professionalism. At the end of this experience I can proudly say that I'm on the road to being an adult- a feel no age can capture, a lesson that can only come unexpectedly and through own personal experience. 
I am trying my best to embrace and enjoy this experience at all times, as I know it is temporary. Life is an endless ebb and flow of the wave of being at the top one day an the bottom the next. I can't say it is fun to be an intern, the mere word reflects connotation of young, naive and inexperienced. Nobody asks for the opinion of an intern, but as a student that is all that is expected from you. 
What I have learned this past month in the working world is that timing is everything, and every second counts. Never underestimate the power of a minute and all that you can accomplish in a short amount of time. If you focus on a task, you will surprise yourself at what can be done in just a few short minutes. I usually take long to do everything because I like to be precise and accurate, however, at work I am fast and efficient and it is so amazing for me to see my performance in a different environment, one that I would not necessarily expect from myself. Never limit yourself to a category because you have not yet found your place. Try everything once. The most important lessons in life are learned in the discovery of the self. 

2 comments: