Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Photoshop landed me the job

Last Thursday, the Entertainment Department at Alex and Ani provided a live concert by our featured artist Colour of London at Rhode Island College's annual end of the year Block Party. Along with providing the staging, equipment, and talent, A&A also provided a photobooth with free unlimited access for the students and concert attendees to enjoy. What's cool about this photobooth was that it came equipped with an iPad so that the photos taken could be directly uploaded to Facebook, Twitter, or Email. This not only allows engagement for the participants but allows us to gather data from those who used the photobooth as well as social media advertising for the company. Basically, it combines the tradition of a photobooth and photo strip with new updated technology, photos to not only have in physical form but digitally as well. I did not have a chance to use the photo booth however I admired from afar and actually was responsible for designing the banner displayed on the outside. I cannot tell you how many times I am asked to compile something using Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustator, and as the only person in our department who knows how to use the programs, I am solely responsible for being able to execute the task. It is critically important for me to be able to use these programs for my job, and luckily, A&A was kind enough to provide me with a work Mac laptop complete with all of the Adobe software. The best thing about my position is that I offer my superiors a skill that they themselves do not have, I am valuable and appreciated in my knowledge of the software. I am so thankful that we used these programs so much at school because I can proudly say that my education is being put to a good use. It is one thing to design a small advertisement for class, but to see your design blown up the side of a photo booth larger than myself is incredible. 


Photo booth with my design


A poster that I made advertising the photo booth

Colour of London on Alex and Ani stage

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me how timid and how much we undermind our skills due to the fact that we are constantly competeing against some of the best in our program. This is really cool but I knew you could do it because you always do dope shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Rach! it's awesome what you can do with these programs and to see your work on different canvases!

    ReplyDelete