Tuesday, May 21, 2013

An afternoon at the Met

This past weekend I went to the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) to see the two fashion exhibits: Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity and Punk: Chaos to Couture. Both installations were practically next to each other so I decided to start off with Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity. This exhibit features numerous Impressionist paintings and the actual garment that was featured in the painting. When you really think about it, the concept is amazing! You are seeing a dress, first hand, that a women was wearing when posing for artists like Renoir, Manet, Morisot, etc. Then putting in perspective of the craft of these dresses, hats, corsets, and other accessories was truly a sight to see. I must say it was extremely distracting when groups of older women (sorry to offend, but that was who it was) were literally screaming and being extremely disrespectful to all those who were trying to enjoy the exhibit. Yes I know I was in a museum and not a library, but for some reason I just wanted everyone to be silent, no noise, just you and all the beautiful works of art and fashion you were surrounded by. Beside the loud women, the exhibit was truly spectacular. But I knew that the Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibit was going to be more up my alley.

And indeed it was!
You walked in and there was punk music blasting and two mannequins in Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood. I myself have never been a punk music lover, but I must say I did enjoy the music, the atmosphere, the culture, and history of the punk movement and its relations to fashion. The whole "I don't give a shit what you think" attitude was in full force. There were garments (GOWNS!) made completely out of trash bags, graffiti inspired clothes, bottle caps, safety pins, it was so awesome. The funny thing about the exhibit were listening to people's reactions. Most people came to see this exhibit and knew what they were getting into. Some of the older crowd ventured from the Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity exhibit to see what they Punk stuff was all about, and they were in for a real treat. I was standing and admiring a huge lace black Dolce & Gabbana gown and an older woman was standing next to me looking so confused and almost frightened. Out of no where she says, " wow it's actually quite beautiful!". Seemed liked she was glad she came over to see what the big deal was. Another reaction by two girls probably my age or maybe a little older opened my eyes to how narrow minded my generation is. One of the girls said, "This is like Lady Gaga". Yes this girl was comparing punk to Gaga, wow. Maybe she thought that when she saw the vintage Gianni Versace dress that Lady Gaga wore...as seen in this photo. But I highly doubt that's what she meant by her comment. Plus most of the clothes shown (if this girl had been reading anything) were pre Lady Gaga...way pre Gaga. But no matter any ones reactions, this exhibit was AMAZING and worth the trip to NYC to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment