Sunday, May 5, 2013

Differences


There are so many differences between this internship and my coop. To start, the companies are very different. My coop was at a small business and there were no more than a half dozen people I communicated with daily. It was more of an everyone do everything situation just so it gets done. Free People, being a much bigger company, is not the same feel. Everything flows well from one department to the other; if you need to know something, there is someone to ask who knows that information. There is even a difference in small things, like shipping a package. Free People has a mailroom in the building; print your slip, stick it on, and sit it in there--you’re set to go. At coop, walking to Fed ex or UPS was sometimes a several day occurrence, which was only after attempting to print the slip on three different printers.  

I’m really happy and lucky to be getting these completely different experiences. It’s nice that I know how two very different companies run, and to see how things work on different scales in the industry. The experience will be beneficial and prepare me for whatever company I might work at in the future. It’s nice to find out what I like and dislike before graduating, in order to help in the job search. 

No comments:

Post a Comment